Monday, October 1, 2012

फिर से नमस्कार


I was back in the States from late May to mid-July, visiting family and as many friends as I could fit into business trips.  Then on July 15th I took a plane back to Mumbai.  I was supposed to take a plane from Philadelphia to Newark, and then to Mumbai, but the connecting flight was inexplicably canceled.  So, the trip had a hectic start as United Airlines gave me an Amtrak voucher instead to get to Newark.  But I made it.  The flight was 15 hours, but it passed pretty quickly as I worked on last season's DAI finale, watched a movie, and read some comics.  There were very few obvious westerners on the plane.

I called Anupam, a colleague at IISER Pune, as I waited for my luggage in Mumbai, around 11pm.  He gave the taxi driver my phone number, and so we made contact very quickly.  I brought my luggage to his car, and we made the long drive to Pune.   The highway from Mumbai to Pune becomes very crowded with trucks at night, and I was encouraged to sleep during the long stalls.  But eventually I arrived at the Guest House, where I had been before.

My room is very nice; here is a video I made later on.


I live in a room in a suite on the 3rd floor of the building, and meals are served in a suite on the 6th floor.  Aside from the two suites, the rest of the building is not affiliated with IISER.  The IISER part is staffed by a Nepalese gentleman named Ramji, his two sons Mohan and Krishna, and a nephew.  They serve vegetarian meals for breakfast and dinner, scheduled at 8am and 8pm.   Lunch and tea are also available if I want.

The path to the IISER Guest House
Monday morning July 16th, I met Kevin over breakfast.  Kevin is an undergraduate math/physics major in British Columbia.  He was in India to write up some notes on the Rubik's Cube under Sujatha.  She had taught him Abstract Algebra, and was visiting India for the summer.  More about Kevin's story later.  All you need to know for now was that he was very enthusiastic and very much in over his head.  I had timed my arrival so that I could attend an international math conference, the theme being ``Riemann's Zeta Function", and somewhat related to the famous proof of ``Fermat's Last Theorem" which was in the news a while back.  Sujatha was helping to organize it.

The first talk was a welcome address by Shashi, the biologist who used to run the math department, and moreover handles a lot of business here.  In this speech he introduced IISER Pune, and at one point mentioned me by name to the crowd as IISER's first international faculty.  I'm getting used to that sort of thing.

As is usual with conferences outside my subject area, I didn't get much out it.  But it was good to have a schedule and hang out with other travelers and eat catered food, so I was there for most of it.
I felt sorry for Kevin so I gave him some math problems to keep him busy.  That week I was also handed a stack of paperwork to get me going.  Some of it was amusing, so I copied it down for you.

Aside from forms to register my visa, and bank account forms and such, there was:

Oath of Secrecy:

 I, ....................., having been appointed as ............. at IISER Pune, do swear in the name of God/ solemnly affirm that I will bear true faith and allegiance and that I will discharge and perform the duties of my office to the best of my ability, knowledge and judgment, without fear or favor, affection or ill will, and that I will not directly or indirectly communicate or reveal to any person any matter which shall be brought under my consideration.

So...I guess this means I can't give away...secrets.  Is "matter brought under my consideration" legalese for "secret"?  Is "any person" legalese for "any person not in on the secret"?  Is DAI illegal now?  Would you have signed this?  Anyway as far as I know, no matters have been brought under my consideration...

Another one:

Subject: Declaration regarding bigamous marriage:

I hereby declare that I have not entered into or contracted a marriage with a person having a spouse living, or who, having a spouse living, have not entered into or contracted a marriage with me.

Okay let me hurry up and post this; I have a lot of catching up to do!

6 comments:

  1. Very informatics Blog
    good article and content


    Packers and Movers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top Ten(10) Engineering Colleges in Tamilnadu Under Anna University
    TNEA 2013 Share More Please.....

    http://www.technical4u.com/2013/05/top-ten10-engineering-colleges-in.html

    Check More TNEA 2013 Updates
    http://www.technical4u.com/search/label/TNEA

    TNEA 2013 List Of Engineering Colleges In All Districts (Tamil Nadu)
    http://www.technical4u.com/2013/05/tnea-2013-list-of-engineering-colleges_9.html

    TNEA 2013 | Find The Best Engineering College For Your Cut Off Mark(12th)
    http://www.technical4u.com/2013/05/tnea-2013-find-best-engineering-college.html

    TNEA 2013(Anna Univertsity) Rank List – TNEA 2013 Rank Enquiry – Anna University Rank Enquiry
    http://www.technical4u.com/2013/05/tnea-2013anna-univertsity-rank-list.html

    TNEA 2013 | Check Your Engineering Application Status
    http://www.technical4u.com/2013/05/tnea-2013-check-your-engineering.html

    Tamil Nadu 12th(+2) Cut Off Mark Calculation For Engineering Admission Anna University - TNEA 2013
    http://www.technical4u.com/2013/05/tamil-nadu-12th-cut-off-mark.html

    TNEA 2013 Random Number | Check Your TNEA 2013 Random Number
    http://www.technical4u.com/2013/05/tnea-2013-random-number-check-your-tnea.html


    Please Share More and Just Connect With Www.Technical4u.com
    Share and Like It

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice trip. Thanks for sharing. Bustling and commercial, leafy and slow, cosmopolitan and vintage, Pune effortlessly adds up to more than the sum of its parts. It is a city where history often asserts itself, but with a careless lightness. Check out all Oyo rooms in Pune also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting blog. Thanks for sharing your experience. chincholi Morachi

    ReplyDelete